Monday, May 12, 2014

thirty-two.

Thirty was amazing - I know that a lot of women dread the big 3-0, but I embraced it and celebrated it. Thirty was fulfilling: I started a job that I love, doing what I'm passionate about. My kids grew and became interesting little people, with awesome, little personalities. We began to see change in the education system that looked promising and changes taking place in the country that were heartening.

Thirty-one was hard. That awesome new job presented awesome new responsibilities and some of the hardest situations I've ever dealt with. My kids tested their limits and bounds, and the education that we were working so hard to invest in was not up-to-par. I hate to hear my son and daughter plan and plot to get our of school My dad got sick with shingles and then both of parents were out-of-work -- my mom because of the massive (and disgusting) budget cuts in the School District of Philadelphia. I was far away - and believe me, it's hard to be away from your family when things are not going so great. 

Thirty-two is going to be great.

I can feel it in my bones. I can look back on thirty-one and see how all of the "bad" stuff is just leading up to a lot of good stuff. My job - both of them - despite the hard stuff, is fulfilling and we are beginning to see the fruits of our labor not only in our students, but in their families as well. We have a (tentative) plan to enhance our own kids' education. My parents are back to work (thank God!). And, our family is growing, as we'll welcome a new baby soon enough.

More than anything, I think, I am going into thirty-two knowing that I am not alone. That despite everything - I am blessed with good and faithful friends and a family who love me. It's going to be a great year!

Let's celebrate!

No comments: